General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Start of Day Variable

Currently the "start" of inform's day is 4:00 AM, meaning that 3:59 AM is "after" 4:01 o'clock. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it would be helpful if this number could be changed so that, for example, if we had a game that mostly took place between 3:00 AM and 5:00 AM, we could move the start of day to 1:00 AM ensuring that we can measure time properly.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Admin →
    • Why don't you try to build a international version?

I suggest make Inform7 can use any language compatible.
      This version seem just can use English ?

9 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Admin →

This is a very large, very complex task. Some of the pieces necessary to support it will be done in the next build, but the whole of the project will not be done at that point.

• (Gnome/IDE) Optimise embedded testing interpreter performance, e.g. by allowing disabling the Skein entirely

The IDE's embedded testing interpreter is very sluggish on this otherwise reasonably fast i3 laptop, making the testing annoying if you want to skip fast through things.

The standalone glulxe for the very same game on the same computer is blazingly fast.

Please optimize the embedded testing interpreter performance and offer settings for performance tweaking, e.g. by allowing the IDE user to disable the Skein entirely to speed up things.

5 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • (Documentation) Clarify "the person asked" and "the actor"

Section 12.3 of the documentation seems to suggest that "the person asked" applies when issuing commands to other characters, as in "Algy, take sandwich." But in fact "the person asked" is the I6 actor global variable (according to zarf), so it will be set to whoever is performing the current action.

It would be nice to have this clarified, particularly because (as of 6G60) "the actor" cannot be used in every case in which "the person asked" can. For instance, since "the actor" is considered a temporary variable, "the list of the things worn by the actor" will not compile,…

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Add a "the first ..." phrase

Similar to the "the only ..." request, I propose a "the first... " phrase.

There are times when all you care about is finding something that matches the description. "A random" will on average iterate through all the things of the kind 1.5 times. With "the first" it could stop as soon as it finds something that matches.

This would be useful: for cloning objects with Dynamic Objects.
            Exhaustively processing a list when the processing will alter the list. In flexible windows I do:

while the number of g-unrequired g-present childless g-windows > 0:
            repeat with h running through g-unrequired…

0 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Release Inform on a less ridiculous schedule.

It's pretty obvious. Development of Inform could be more rapid with better user feedback cycles if a slightly more standard development cycle were followed. A multi-year release cycle makes utterly no sense for a product like this.

6 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                1 comment  ·  Admin →
              • Parse valid responses to disambiguation requests as disambiguation requests rather than new commands

When a disambiguation request is printed, Inform decides whether to process the next input as a response to the request or as a new command by checking to see whether the first word of the input is a verb. Ordinarily this works well, but it will break when an object's name contains a verb. See http://inform7.com/mantis/view.php?id=1127 for an example.

In comments there, zarf says:
                "This has been the intended behavior since the I6 days. It would be bad if a disambiguation prompt made some other command untypable, by stealing its verb. (It is less bad if a disambiguation fails, because…

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  1 comment  ·  Admin →
                • (Parsing) Null token for topics

We can already use -- as a null token in a list of slashed alternatives for a phrase definition, as in "To review the/-- landmarks."

The suggestion to use -- as a null token for understand grammar is planned, as in 'Understand "google for/-- [text] in/on [library computer]" as consulting it about (with nouns reversed)." See http://inform7.uservoice.com/forums/57320-general/suggestions/751366-parsing-null-token-for-understand-grammar.

I suggest allowing -- as a null token for topics, as in 'Instead of consulting the library computer about "the/-- zombie apocalypse:", simply so that all three cases are treated uniformly. (As things stand, the given topic will match "the zombie apocalypse"…

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • (windows IDE) Open extensions in a new source tab with the same table of contents and torn page view as the game source.

Game source has a table of contents and a torn page view to make navigating long source files easier. Extension source supports the same structuring, but the source window lacks the tools that make it useful.

8 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • recognize "more" and "most" for comparatives and superlatives (or allow hand-rolled definitions

Section 6.8 of Writing with Inform recommends that we choose our adjectives carefully if we want to use comparatives and superlatives, as Inform will turn "spacious" into "spaciouser" and "spaciousest." But rather than force the author to think of a word that will work well with Inform's declension algorithm, why not automatically recognize "more [adjective]" and "most [adjective]" as comparatives and superlatives? Or perhaps it might be possible to allow hand-rolled comparatives and superlatives, thus: "A person is good (better, best) if its alignment is more than 3."

6 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  Admin →
                      • World Model and Parser Reflection

This is a broader request to enable reflective capabilities within a game file or an additional file associated with a game file. The use case is for embedded games that the user wouldn't have access to the game file or the additional reflection data. The idea is that the interpreter or tool or IDE can query the game engine for lists of internal data. The types of internal data include full object hierarchy including associated rules, properties, property values, links, etc.

Reflective questions I might want to know:
                        - what are all the current objects in scope
                        - for a…

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Make the default library response to SEARCH more consistently ambiguous

The default library response to SEARCH [object] is "You find nothing of interest," which I find perfectly acceptable.

I find more problematic the default responses to SEARCH-ing supporters or containers, which (when they have no described, non-scenery objects within them) state "There is nothing on the [supporter]" or "The [container] is empty". These non-ambiguous statements can directly contradict descriptive story text or even intentional object placement, as I demonstrate with this example: http://pastebin.com/FbQy1mPL (code) http://pastebin.com/vjsfP5NC (output)

I therefore suggest that the default library response to "SEARCH [object]" be "You find nothing of interest", no matter the class of object.

2 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Write an basic reference manual ASAP.

The existing manuals do not qualify as reference manuals, and will never do so, as they are not even intended to do so. The well-hidden syntax document is a start, but does not actually give specifications for half the syntax elements, and does not explain the semantic restrictions.

As a programmer who is extremely picky and perfectionist, I found myself having to learn the language partly by reading the source code (in three languages -- I6, I7, C), and partly by fighting with the IDE as it rejected constructions which appeared perfectly valid from the syntax documents and the "manuals".

12 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

For the reasons Andrew points out, this sounds like a substantial task. However, anyone who likes has always been free to write additional manuals; if there is a volunteer who has a specific idea about what they’d like to see, they’re welcome to write it. We have linked many of those resources from the Inform webpage.

• Abstract out block value initialisation/shell code, for use with other phrases

When you use block value types (indexed text etc) the code a phrase produces is actually placed in a SHELL function, with the head rule function instead being used to initialise the block value and close it down when finished.

It would be useful to be able to do this with other functions. I am having a look at refactoring Flexible Windows, as it is very slow because every time you change a window it runs a bunch of code. If we could use the same sort of stuff as block values do, then the window configuring could run once,…

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Run VM_Initialise as a for starting the virtual machine rule

The starting the virtual machine activity is far less useful than it should be as VM_Initialise() isn't run until after the activity. If you rely on stuff it does (such as dealing with the status line) you might not have anywhere nice to hang a rule if you need the rule run before the when play begins rules.

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Make it possible to make "room" a kind of "thing"

I just spent 30 hours working around the fact that it isn't and that it cannot be made one even by redefining the Standard Rules.

I realize this is not straightforward at all as it requires digging about in crusty old Inform 6 code to eliminate aliased flags and whatnot.

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Implement Inform 7 IDE as HTML5 Web Application

Title says it all. Would it be valuable to develop I7 as a web application that compiled server-side and returned results to client or ran app in client/server paradigm? If so, is this a good idea?

0 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Have the current location be in scope when it "should be"

Or at least make it possible as an option. The fact that it isn't appears to be a piece of special-casing deep in the hardwired Inform 6 scope routines. (As it is, scope search goes down into the players contents, and goes up to the room, and goes down from the room, but the *room itself is deleted from scope* for some reason.) Actually, I think those were hard-wired in Inform 6 -- are those scope routines written in C?

Well, anyway, it turns out to be incredibly hard to work around this oddity in the scoping rules: you have…

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Allow phrases to be defined to automatically cast values

It would be useful to allow phrases to be defined which would cast between values, for example:

To decide what indexed text is (file - an external file): ...

Such a phrase wouldn't have any non-variant text. Alternatively, and to make clear that it is a special phrase, it could be worded like this:

To cast an external file to indexed text: ...

To prevent headaches the compiler should not use more than one conversion at a time. That may not be enough to prevent headaches... perhaps the compiler should also complain if reciprocal casting phrases are defined? I don't…

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Allow text and binary files to be declared and blorbed from the Materials folder

Allow text and binary files to be declared and blorbed from the Materials folder, much like figures and sounds, now that Blorb has the TEXT and BINA chunk types.

(And regenerate infglk.h so that the associated glk functions, glk_stream_open_resource and glk_stream_open_resource_uni, are available by name.)

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)