I suggest you ...

Allow for more complex grammar lines with three or more components

Currently, to quote the problem message, "there can be at most two varying parts to a line of grammar, so 'put [something] in [a container]' is allowed but 'put [something] in [something] beside [a door]' is not." While presumably extending this would create difficulties, the lack of this functionality puts a sometimes frustrating limit on the potential complexity of story commands. Even moving from two to three allowed tokens would open up a large possibility space of interesting command structures.

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AaronReedAdminAaronReed (Admin, Inform 7) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ron NewcombRon Newcomb commented  · 

Although it is possible to do this with the system as-is, (see 25.22 in the manual,) it's by no means obvious and requires I6 code that sets a global and returns GPR_PREPOSITION. If new Understand tokens could be written in I7 code it would help a lot. Here's just part of what's required for a [subordinating conjunction] token, for example.

The understand token subordinating conjunction translates into I6 as "SUB_CONJ_TOKEN".

Include(-
        [ SUB_CONJ_TOKEN x;
        if (wn > (+ the best match +)) (+ the best match +) = wn;
        return ((+ parsing the sub conj +)-->1)();
        ];-).

To decide which number is parse succeeds: (- GPR_PREPOSITION -).
        To decide which number is parse fails: (- GPR_FAIL -).

To decide which number is parse the sub conj (this is parsing the sub conj): [can't use matches "foo/bar" in here]
        repeat through the table of subordinating conjunctions:
        if the unmatched word matches the topic entry:
        now the sub conj is the output entry;
        decide on parse succeeds;
        decide on parse fails.

Table of subordinating conjunctions
        topic output
        "then" "then"
        "before" "before"
        "after" "after"
        "if" "if"
        "because" "because"
        "for" "for"
        "so" "so"

• posterposter commented  · 

I should have been more specific. You Cannot use if (A) or (B) or (C) in a rule. The maximum that I7 allows is two conditions. Please, go try it.

I have retracted my votes.

• Erik TempleErik Temple commented  · 

It would also be nice if more than one non-object value (e.g. topic, number, etc.) could be understood. The current limit is two objects, one non-object value.

@poster: Inform can already process "if" statements like your example quite well. This request is about grammar for the player's command.

• posterposter commented  · 

Oh my geez, yes. It would be fantastic to be able to use statements like: if (a) and (b) and (c), say "blah".

Feedback and Knowledge Base