I suggest you ...

Have a "no graphics" and "one window" options for the IDE interpreter

It is currently the case that Quixe will not open graphics windows. This causes graphical games (Alabaster, etc) to throw Glk errors -- as opposed to either degrading gracefully or gracefully refusing to run. If the IDE interpreter had options for these cases, authors could test for them and not be blindsided by these errors.

2 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Andrew PlotkinAndrew Plotkin shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Erik TempleErik Temple commented  · 

I agree that a "no graphics" option is the best option for authors wanting to police this stuff. You could have Flexible Windows automatically refuse to open graphics windows on unsupported terps, but this could create worse issues if, say, the graphics window was itself supposed to spawn a text window that contains critical game content...

To tell the truth, I currently use Quixe as my no-graphics option for testing. But when it's upgraded, that won't be an option any longer (unless you could pass the no-graphics and one-window options in via the url).

• Andrew PlotkinAndrew Plotkin commented  · 

...Also, I totally used the word "blindsided" there, didn't I. Oops. Sorry.

• Andrew PlotkinAndrew Plotkin commented  · 

...True, I am planning to upgrade Quixe. But I think this is a common case for low-overhead interpreters. Glulxe with GlkTerm is a terminal-window interpreter that will never support graphics; CheapGlk (meaning the Floyd bot, and other chat ports) can only open a single stream window.

This is also the easiest way (and the only already-specced-out way) for an interpreter to declare that it is being run in a non-visual mode (screen reader mode). I don't think there are interpreters that can specifically be put in an accessibility mode like this, but it is a reasonable possibility and maybe recommendable.

Feedback and Knowledge Base