I suggest you ...

Understand "offstage" or "off stage"

The compiler understands "off-stage" as meaning "removed from play," but it's easy to write "offstage" by mistake and then be confused - perhaps not even knowing that there is a correct phrasing. A compiler error suggesting the use of "off-stage" would probably be best, put perhaps synonyms would work better for some people (or be easier to implement).

5 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Captain MikeeCaptain Mikee shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andrew PlotkinAndrew Plotkin commented  · 

The condition "x is nowhere" appears to be interpreted as "not (x is somewhere)", which is to say, "x is not any room"! Unintuitive, but I can't blame the compiler for winding up there.

This use of "nowhere" to mean "not any room" is parallel to "nobody" ("not any person") and "nothing" ("not any thing"). It's probably worth keeping that, rather than dragging it into the off-stage debate. You might reasonably say "if nowhere is visited", for example.

• Captain MikeeCaptain Mikee commented  · 

I don't believe "nowhere" is allowed as a synonym for off-stage either. I wouldn't mind if that had similar treatment.

• Captain MikeeCaptain Mikee commented  · 

Ron Newcomb suggested removing the "remove ... from play" construct completely. I'm fine with doing that, or at least deprecating it, especially if it means that "off-stage" will get more prominent documentation.

Feedback and Knowledge Base