I suggest you ...

More thoroughly highlight the way Inform understands "the" in the documentation.

Sometimes it seems as though the single most common cause of bugs is the way Inform understands "the" as "a." New authors write something like "Instead of examining a computer: If the computer is switched on..." and are confused because that actually checks whether any computer is switched on.

Since this error is so common, perhaps the behavior should be highlighted more in the documentation? I'm pretty sure that it's addressed somewhere, but it seems like perhaps it should be brought up many places and highlighted more prominently as a warning. For instance, one case in which this happens is when the author writes "the room" when they mean "the location"; there could be a warning about this when "the location" is introduced in 3.25. Another common occurrence is writing "the computer" instead of "the noun," so the problem can be documented again in 7.10 where "the noun" and "the second noun" are introduced.

4 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    matt weinermatt weiner shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  emshortAdminemshort (Admin, Inform 7) responded  · 

The incorrect use of The is now checked against by the compiler, so this shouldn’t be able to occur any more.

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...