I suggest you ...

Accept "has" as a linking verb

The linking verb "is" is magical. But sometimes you'd like the verb "has" to be magical too.

Definition: a person has arrived if ...
Definition: a person has expired rather than survived if ...

In some cases you can naturally substitute an "is" form ("a person is dead if...") but not all. "Steve is arrived" awkward -- in my country -- and "Steve is here" is liable to run into parsing issues.

In general, this comes up because IF state flags frequently refer to past events (even though the game code is really testing their present values). It's nice to be able to name them that way.

Other cases:

[Binary properties: (A goal is a kind of thing.)]
A goal can have succeeded.
A goal can have succeeded or failed.

(Goal-1 has succeeded; if goal-1 has succeeded...; if goal-2 has not [or "hasn't"] succeeded; a random goal that has succeeded; the number of failed goals; etc.)
I'm a little unsure about using the term as an adjective -- an arrived person, a succeeded goal -- but it's not too ugly.

[Multi-value properties:]
A person can have fallen, jumped, or been pushed.

[Relation prepositions:]
The verb to have fallen for implies the crushing-on relation.

[Relation verbs:]
The verb to tip off (he tips off, they tip off, he tipped off, it has tipped off, he has been tipping off) implies the snitching relation.
[Or wait. Do I mean:]
The verb to tip off (he has tipped off, they have tipped off, he had tipped off, he was tipped off, he was tipping off) implies the snitching relation.
[Or is this road paved with pluperfects? Maybe we should skip relations.]

[Property verbs:]
The verb to have weighed (it has weighed, they have weighed, it has been weighing) implies the historic weight property.
(This compiles, actually, but then you can't use it. I suspect this gets tangled up with the past-history mechanism, as did the relation verb example. Oh well.)

4 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)