I suggest you ...

(world model) a way to move or conceal doors

There has never been a satisfactory way in Inform to implement a concealed door that is revealed under certain conditions, or a door that leads to different locations under different conditions. I realize that these are hoary cliches of adventure gaming, but despite this (or, really, because of it), I would like to see some kind of solution in Inform.

15 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    mikemike shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  emshortAdminemshort (Admin, Inform 7) responded  · 

There are assorted ways of faking this behavior, but I can see that it’s sometimes a stumbling block for authors, and it’s easy to do wrong. Historically, the way the map was constructed meant that this kind of adjustment would have been hard to do, but we’ll see whether that has changed.

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • mikemike commented  · 

Note, this has been discussed on the newsgroup more than once, but I didn't see an "official" request for it here.

The solution that I would most like to see, and which would seem to solve both problems neatly, is the ability to set each of its four elements (which direction each side faces, and which room each side opens onto) independently, during runtime, and the ability to leave them undeclared or set them to "nothing" if desired.

The wardrobe is a door. It is north of the Empty Room and south of Hiding Amidst Smelly Old Coats.

When Hide-and-Seek begins:
        now the north side of the wardrobe opens onto Narnia.

The innocuous portal is a door. The facing is north. The opposite facing is south.

Every turn when Harry Potter has great need:
        now the north facing of the innocuous portal opens onto the Room of Requirement;
        now the south facing of the innocuous portal opens onto the Seventh-Floor Hallway.

Every turn when Argus Filch is in the Seventh-Floor Hallway:
        now the north facing of the innocuous portal opens onto nowhere.

Feedback and Knowledge Base