I suggest you ...

(World model) "Talkable" tag for microphones, voice-activated computers

Currently Inform refuses to let the player talk to objects that aren't people or animals. Inform 6 had a "talkable" tag that overrode this, which was useful for microphones and voice-activated computers. Something similar should be exposed at the I7 level.

11 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    emshortAdminemshort (Admin, Inform 7) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  emshortAdminemshort (Admin, Inform 7) responded  · 

Handled with a built-in extension: this allows us to avoid clutter in the main library, but include information in the Recipe Book for users who might otherwise find this restriction confusing to override.

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • emshortAdminemshort (Admin, Inform 7) commented  · 

Well, sort of:

1) modifying new rules for this task is not as easy as perhaps it should be;
        2) the talkable flag already exists in the Inform 6 level. It is just not exposed to the I7 level.

• AndreasAndreas commented  · 

That would require adding a flag tag to ALL things created, would it not? This flag would require its own mention in the manual, its own mention in the index, and all of this just because newbies don't know how to make or modify new rules for the "talk" command. (I don't even see the meaning of the "device" tag predefining a thing that can be in two states, when everything can be in several states.)

Feedback and Knowledge Base