I suggest you ...

(Website/Extensions) Allow all extensions to be downloaded in single .zip *VW*

Make it possible to download a complete set of available extensions from a single zip file.

11 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    emshortAdminemshort (Admin, Inform 7) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AaronReedAdminAaronReed (Admin, Inform 7) commented  · 

A related proposal would be to make the process of downloading and installing necessary extensions more automatic (see http://inform7.uservoice.com/forums/57320-general/suggestions/847455-extensions-have-an-extensions-repository?ref=title). This could theoretically be as simple as the application invisibly downloading in the background any necessary extensions (including new versions and dependencies) necessary to compile a project. If such functionality were available, would people still have a desire for a single .zip download?

• ErykEryk commented  · 

I think that good approach to this problem would be:
        1) to include all extensions within installation file, (there is only one problem - most extensions are updated a week or two after the new release, so they will be quickly outdated)
        and/or
        2) checking extensions rss feed by IDE and if new/updated extensions are available (of course asking the user if he wants to) simply download them to local extensions folder.

• BanburyBanbury commented  · 

I have a serious desire for this feature. I have just downloaded the new version of Inform 7 and now wanted to download all the new and changed extensions. Cherrypicking is not a good solutions for this problem. And we're living in the year 2010 - a ZIP file with a few text files won't blow your bandwith :).

• IsxekIsxek commented  · 

I agree in the sense that it would be better for most users to "cherrypick" the extensions they would need for their WIP from the Extensions page, but my purpose here was to allow other users who (like me) would rather browse through these extensions offline. But we'll see - hopefully those who also want this can put in their votes.

• emshortAdminemshort (Admin, Inform 7) commented  · 

I'm not entirely convinced this would be a good idea -- it would encourage people to be profligate about bandwidth and not terribly conscious about what they were downloading. But it has been requested several times, so let's see whether there is really a significant desire for it.

• Mark J MusanteMark J Musante commented  · 

I can add that to the existing export scripts, or it could be handled on-site by the contentloader script. I recommend the latter approach.

Feedback and Knowledge Base