I suggest you ...

(IDE/Manual) Let me search for two related words in proximity, rather than a phrase

The Mac IDE searches on exact strings, so "suppress banner" will ONLY find the exact string "suppress banner" as if there were quotes around the search term, rather than it being two separate words with an OR between them - my suggestion to fix that is to use quotes to denote specific strings that include spaces, otherwise treat the search as a list of words with OR. Using multiple words often results in no results because those words are never adjacent, or I can use single words, and with many common words I get so many irrelevant results that I can't find what I'm looking for.

14 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    emshortAdminemshort (Admin, Inform 7) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  emshortAdminemshort (Admin, Inform 7) responded  · 

This is somewhere between completed and declined.

We have not adopted exactly the requested behavior, on the grounds that many concepts in Inform are represented by a multiword phrase, and making it difficult to search precisely for such a phrase would not be a net gain.

However, we have instituted other improvements to the Mac IDE search, including a stronger handling of regular expressions. For instance, typing “(fish|window)” will search for either fish or window, while “fish.*fowl” will search for fish followed by “fowl” at any distance.

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...