I suggest you ...

List all standard rules as Inform 7 code under the Action tab

As it is now, programmers who are looking to modify/remove/add existing rules, have to either guess how the standard actions (and probably other rules) are doing things, or find and refer to the obscure page http://inform7.com/sources/src/stdrules/Appendix%20A/SR4%20-%20Actions.w and translate its entry into Inform 7 source (and also test the action several ways to find out what the in-game messages are). I want the I6 source for an action, to be listed as I7 source for each action, ready to be cut and pasted, or inserted into the source through the standard click of a button. This would allow programmers to edit and add to these rules more freely, (instead of requesting new additions to them to be made standard with the next Inform release).

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AndreasAndreas shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  emshortAdminemshort (Admin, Inform 7) responded  · 

We see your point; on the other hand, there are some problematic implications in that it makes the index larger and harder to generate, which is a bit unwieldy. We will think on it.

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ron NewcombRon Newcomb commented  · 

Alternately, allow Appendix A & B to be popped open from the IDE. (Meaning, the IDE sends the PDF to the OS, which opens it in Adobe or whatever app the user has set to open PDFs.) It's annoying to go digging through Finder every time.

• AndreasAndreas commented  · 

Yes, if you find the remote place where the reserved extensions are stored, you can find Standard Rules.i7x stored in Graham Nelsons folder, containing EVERY Inform 7 rule, and searching through ALL these, you can find the action you want. Of course, locating the messages themselves, are done through locating the same remote folder, and opening the Language.i6t file, and then deciphering I6 code such as:

Close: switch (n) {
        1: print_ret (ctheyreorthats) x1, " not something you can close.";
        2: print_ret (ctheyreorthats) x1, " already closed.";
        3: "You close ", (the) x1, ".";
        4: print (The) actor, " closes ", (the) x1, ".^";
        5: print (The) x1, " close"; if (x1 hasnt pluralname) print "s";
        print ".^";

Of course, if you're an experienced I6 programmer, this takes 5 minutes, but most people will just go "Huh?" half-way through this process, provided they even know what to look for, which isn't even hinted at.

However, it looks like these messages are meant to be translated into I7 code already, judging by this message:
        "@p Long Texts.
        The messages here are expected eventually to move into I7 tables, where
        they will be more easily dealt with. But for now, the old-fashioned way:"

Why this is so important, is because if people had these rules more readily available, they wouldn't have to ask the programmers for more standard rules, so in the end I think it would be less of a bother for them as well.

• DaveDave commented  · 

I don't see this as being terribly useful. Looking at the standard Rules (which can be opened up via the File menu) covers most cases. Any code in the *.i6t files can also be perused if required. I wouldn't waste the I7 developers time translating the I6 code to I7 just in case someone somewhere wants to modify it.

Feedback and Knowledge Base