I suggest you ...

port to App store for iPad

Recognizing this would take a lot of work, but I like playing IF on Frotz on iPhone, so why not writing?

4 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    BJP shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  Adminemshort (Admin, Inform 7) responded  · 

This isn’t something the core team has time/inclination to pursue. That said, if there are people who have the expertise and time who wish to volunteer to port Inform to other platforms, we’d be happy to hear from them. (It’s not clear to us how well this would work on the iPad specifically, but we don’t want to close the door in general.)

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

I like the idea of making the compiler portion a web service, and just have the client be an editor or player of the compiled story. That's more likely than trying to get a code interpreter approved through Apple

• Anonymous commented  · 

And it's definitely possible on the platform!

• Anonymous commented  · 

An iPad port makes perfect sense! It would be much easier than lugging around a notebook or even an MacBook air.

• Anonymous commented  · 

you should port it Long time inform user I've been saying this for years.

• Erik Temple commented  · 

It seems to me that the easiest way to make the compiler available on most mobile devices would be to implement it as a website. That would require someone to pay for and maintain the server, but it could (I think) be done now by anyone interested enough to make it happen.

• BJP commented  · 

Thanks, didn't realize this had been discussed before. I'm noticing that my Commodore 64 app allows programming in BASIC -- maybe that'll be the new iPad development platform (ha).

Was inspired to revisit Inform after watching Get Lamp the other night -- I taught IF/Inform to my high school students for a few years as part of a Computer Science class, and our school is strongly considering going 1:1 iPad next year. So I'm excited about doing something with it -- even if it just means they play the games available on Frotz.

Again, thanks for your replies.

Byron

http://www.siprep.org/faculty/bphilhour/

• Juhana commented  · 

Well, I'm glad if the policy has changed, but I'm still skeptical about them allowing programming environments (are there any similar apps?) As has been discussed before, it's a big risk starting such a big project when it's uncertain whether it'll be ultimately allowed in the app store.

• Andrew Plotkin commented  · 

I'm afraid you are confusing several different problems, some of which are obsolete.

Apple has no policy about IDE development apps. They have a policy about apps with built-in interpreters, which they loosened up considerably last month.

• Juhana commented  · 

Apple doesn't allow IDE apps. It is in fact a small miracle that Frotz is allowed and even it had to disable some functionality to be accepted. So unless Apple changes its rules there can't be I7 on iPad or iPhone.

Feedback and Knowledge Base