I suggest you ...

Fully support sound and image resources in Quixe (playable web page)

(Perhaps this counts as a bug, but for once I'll err on the side of feature request...)

Currently if you "release along with an interpreter" and your game has sounds or image resources, the resources don't make it into the Release/interpreter directory at all. The Game.gblorb.js file is actually a bare Glulx file in a .js wrapper -- it doesn't have the full gblorb contents.

This policy dates from before Quixe supported image display. Now that it does (and we'll get audio in there sooner or later), we have a situation where images are needlessly omitted from the playable web version. The resources should go in there somehow.

The easy way to do this is to just .js-wrap the full gblorb file. This works -- you can play the game and see the images. However, this wastes time and browser memory, because the images have to be decoded on the fly by JS code and held in memory as JS byte arrays.

The more efficient plan is to copy the resources files directly into the interpreter directory and update the interpreter/resourcemap.js file to describe them. This is described here:

https://github.com/erkyrath/quixe/wiki/Quixe-Graphics-Support

5 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service