I suggest you ...

Export to Commodore 64 Disk Image (.d64) et al

Based on its roots in the 8-bit world, Inform 7 should pay homage by exporting story files into those formats (i.e., a disk image playable in emulators).

Obviously certain restrictions would apply, so it would be up to the authors not to exceed those restrictions (or Inform could help).

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    kpkilburn shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Otis commented  · 

FYI, the IF archive (ifarchive.org) does have some utilities that allow translating .z5 files to .d64 files, e.g. d64toinf which can be found under /infocom/tools. I got it working the other day using VirtualBox, FreeDOS, and VICE-c64 without too much trouble. (I think the trickiest part was putting the requisite files on a virtual CD or diskette that could be opened by the FreeDOS VM.)

Important to note: The I6 overhead associated with I7-compiled stories seems quite high for virtual c64s to handle. It works a lot better with native I6 code. Also, surprisingly few notable published games can fit in the maximum 2 disk sides allowed by the converter.

• kpkilburn commented  · 

Did I say it was an advantage over what already exists?

• curiousdannii commented  · 

"Inform 7 should pay homage by exporting story files into those formats (i.e., a disk image playable in emulators)."

You can't get much more of a homage than exporting into the exact format Infocom used! There are even modern C64 Z-Machine interpreters: http://www.intfiction.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8817

What concrete advantages would exporting to a C64 disk image have over Z-Machine/Glulx?

Feedback and Knowledge Base