I suggest you ...

SCORM or Tin Can API compatibility

To make packages compatible with LMSs (learning management systems) I suggest you add the ability to communicate with LMSs through SCORM or Tin Can. These implementations can be done through javascript. It would really open up the use of IF for corporate training, and in academia where learning modules are served online.

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Timothy Bergkvist, M.Ed. shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Timothy Bergkvist, M.Ed. commented  · 

Thank you. I think you are right. It looks like it needs implementing at the interpreter level. However, SCORM doesn't track user behavior per se, it reports user progress. So, if you have a quiz and complete 70% of it, the eLearning reports to the LMS that the user completed 70% of the quiz. For an IF-based lesson, for example, when you score points or complete a Chapter, it could report that progress through SCORM to the LMS. Universities and corporations that use LMSs need to track user progress in eLearning modules to award college credits or record compliance with safety or other policies. Thanks again. I will focus more then on the interpreter. It would be a pleasure to see this implemented for corporate training. Imagine being eaten by a grue during ethics training. :-)

• Andrew Plotkin commented  · 

Your comment does not make it clear what this feature is; nor does the web site or Wikipedia. However, it sounds like this is an interpreter feature (tracking user behavior) rather than an Inform language feature.

Consider implementing it within Quixe, an open-source Javascript interpreter for Inform games. https://github.com/erkyrath/quixe

• Timothy Bergkvist, M.Ed. commented  · 

Specifically, e-Learning is tracked through the use of SCORM (see scorm.com) which is a framework for sharable content. Without SCORM, learning management systems like Blackboard or SuccessFactors cannot serve the content to learners. If the use of IF for education is a serious endeavor, than adding this is a must. Otherwise, its just a toy and cannot be used in a corporate training setting. I write training for corporations and would love to be able to use IF as a modality for delivering training. But I can't, not yet anyways.

Feedback and Knowledge Base