I suggest you ...

(IDE) Create a new IDE for ANDROID devices *VW*

Given the rise of Android devices (phones & tablets) I'd like to see a new IDE created for the Android platform. At least for Tablets. This would allow for writing 'on the go' as ideas come to mind.

47 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    R2T1R2T1 shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • RockwalrusRockwalrus commented  · 

I've put a beta version of my Inform 7 interface for Android on Google Play. Not everything is implemented, but you can edit source, build, and test with it. If you're interested in trying it out, join the Inform 7 for Android Beta Testers community at https://plus.google.com/communities/110900302268615832212 , then click on the "Sign up for testing" link, followed by the "Play Store listing" link.

• BreannaBreanna commented  · 

Do you have one for iOs at all? I'd love to help. I know some Objective C, and C.. ^^

• ClearStreamClearStream commented  · 

Also interested in having this work on android. Plus a brief blurb on the download for your platform page that says "sorry folks we don't do android yet" would be helpful. It took me a while to find this thread.

• JohnJohn commented  · 

Playfic sort of works - but the only browser you can really develop on is Dolphin (it allows the entry of tabs in a web form and I cannot find any others that do) and Dolphin is now crashing a lot when you have a reasonably sized project. So this is now making it virtually unusable.

Also you cannot develop off line, Playfic needs a web connection - pritty useless or expensive on the move in many countries.

So yes you can do basic stuff, if you are tied to a wifi hotspot (kind of defeating the protability of android devices) but its no substitute for a full IDE.

Sadly I'm not an Android coder and cannot help out but it would be great if you could find someone to port the IDE onto Android.

• Jerry Bentley Jerry Bentley commented  · 

I wouldn't mind having just the compiler although and IDE would be nice.

• J AllmanJ Allman commented  · 

I would like to see it in android as well!

• emshortAdminemshort (Admin, Inform 7) commented  · 

Out of curiosity, is it possible to use playfic.com via Android devices?

I don't have a clear sense of whether this is feasible, but if someone wants it, we would certainly need a volunteer willing to take the project on.

• Anonymous commented  · 

It would be very interesting!

• MirrorshadesMirrorshades commented  · 

Definitely!!! Been wondering when this would happen for a long while... make it more accessible to the public via tablet/phone use.

Feedback and Knowledge Base