I suggest you ...

(Website/Extensions) Archive old version of extensions *VW*

Maintain old versions of extensions on the website so that authors who lose them can retrieve them.

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Adminemshort (Admin, Inform 7) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dave commented  · 

If it helps whoever is going to implement this I have a SVN repository of nearly all the extension versions going back to mid 2008 that I can make available.

• AdminAaronReed (Admin, Inform 7) commented  · 

This seems to me most useful not as a backup mechanism, but for people trying to compile older projects (either their own or those with a released source text).

However, saving old extensions would not solve this alone: you'd also need to determine which version of the extension was current when the project was last successfully compiled. This information is currently not preserved anywhere (authors can specify that a game require *at least* a certain version of an extension, but not *at most* or *exactly*.) Without this info, detective work would have to be done to find the appropriate older version-- if versions are timestamped, looking for the last one released before the game might suffice (assuming of course the original author had the latest version of that extension at the time of release).

It's also worth bringing up that this wouldn't retroactively restore the older versions of any current extensions, which would create a potentially frustrating asymmetry between extensions with archived older versions and those without.

In light of the now-planned ability to archive complete projects including their extensions (http://inform7.uservoice.com/forums/57320-general/suggestions/751944-version-control-extensions-automatic-archiving-o?ref=title), which would present a good solution going forward for authors wishing to archive or publicly release the source to their games, I'd be interested to hear if people still think this functionality alone would be worth the significant infrastructure changes to the extensions page required to implement it.

• Ron Newcomb commented  · 

While I write many extensions and am generally warm to their receiving more love, I'm more convinced that backups are the author's responsibility.

And yes, I've been bit by this once, but still.

Feedback and Knowledge Base