I suggest you ...

(Website) Make available versions before 4S08

I was looking for an old version of I7, which I need to compile an old project, and was unable to find it on the website. The website only goes back to 4S08, but should contain links to all previous versions so that old story files can be re-compiled in the original version of I7 that they were written in.

If the older versions are not available, then whenever an old project needs to be rebuilt you will also need to do a full code review to ensure that it compiles in the latest version of I7, followed by another round of testing to ensure that there have been no breakages. Being able to recompile on the original I7 version removes the need to do either of these time-consuming tasks.

They don't need to be given such prominence on the download page - an 'older versions' link to a separate page would be enough - but they need to be present somewhere!

8 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Adminemshort (Admin, Inform 7) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • HappyDog commented  · 

Got it! :-)

I found this URL, which has all the old versions: http://www.inform-fiction.org/I7Downloads/

If that is going to stay stable, then a quick and easy option might be just add a small link to 'older versions' that points there.

• HappyDog commented  · 

btw, the specific version I am after is 4K41, if anyone is able to help.

• HappyDog commented  · 

Any news on this? Is it not done because the old versions don't exist, or just because no-one's got around to it yet? Is there anything I can do to help?

Either way, if someone has the files and can e-mail them to me, that would help me out a lot!

• HappyDog commented  · 

Hi Emily,

re: (a) According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Inform_releases, there were 13 releases prior to 4S08, so not a huge number, and it's something that only needs to be done once.

re: (b) that's not really relevant. I suspect most people are aware that they 'should' upgrade to the latest version to compile their story files, and will do so when appropriate, but when it was something written a few years ago, which may need extensive work in order to get it to compile under the new interpreter, it is not necessarily worth that effort. In my case, I simply want to change my contact details and republish - I don't want to spend a day or two 'fixing' the code and re-testing in order to do this.

• curiousdannii commented  · 

Technically it does say "all releases" which makes it a bug!

• Adminemshort (Admin, Inform 7) commented  · 

I believe the reason for omitting builds prior to 4S08 is that a) there are a very large number of them -- this is the period between three and four years ago when we were releasing new builds every few weeks to a month sometimes, rather than every few months/year; b) they're pretty unstable, so from the perspective of having a usable game, upgrading to a more recent build is much safer. (This may not be an *adequate* reason, but that was the thinking as I understand it.)

Feedback and Knowledge Base