I suggest you ...

Make search results a tab in the IDE

Is there any reason why the search results can't be made into a regular tab in the IDE, just like Source, Errors, etc.? Often I find I want to keep the search results window around for a bit, but it's a pain to have it floating in front of my workspace. It's also the only part of the IDE that seems to stick out in an ugly way from the rest of the design.

20 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    mike shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • David C commented  · 

I meant Lucene, not ElasticSearch.

• David C commented  · 

This is still a major bummer in the Windows IDE. I would recommend making search a full tab, implementing ElasticSearch, and showing results as a html. This would not be difficult to implement as ElasticSearch is very well documented and easy to setup. The HTML results wouldn't need a designer to make it look "nice".

• Mike Gentry commented  · 

I was using the Windows version when I logged this, way back when, so yes.

• Anonymous commented  · 

The search window should be either a tab in the IDE window, or a floating window with tabs for each search result. Many times I find myself having the need for multiple search results open, however having them float around and have to be moved quite a bit. Totally needs to be rethought and implemented as part of a more complete solution.

• Dave commented  · 

I think this also ties into http://inform7.uservoice.com/forums/57320-general/suggestions/867093-ide-manual-let-me-search-for-two-related-words-i?ref=title and several other requested search improvements that could/should be done as part of a search overhaul.

A separate search tab would be a nice convenient place to put advanced search options such as AND/OR (as requested in the link above) and perhaps NOT, regular expressions, etc. That would leave the "old" search box as quick shortcut for common basic searches.

Feedback and Knowledge Base